Monday, February 26, 2007

A Sinless Sinner; A Sinning Saint

A Christian is a sinless sinner and a sinning saint.

I know that sounds like a contradiction in terms, and I’m not sure I can define all that in theological terms, but let me try to explain the way it operates in my life.

Some years ago a friend told me she was really tired of all the talk about penitence and contrition, all the emphasis on how we are miserable sinners.

“I don’t feel like a miserable sinner,” she said. “I feel like someone who has been redeemed. I feel wonderful!”

I, on the other hand, while knowing I am redeemed, and offering God heartfelt thanks for that redemption, am often overcome with feelings of remorse at the state of my soul and the way I live my life.

I didn’t so much think my friend was being proud in her protestations of lack of guilt as I thought she was being blind to her own failings. I didn’t so much think I was being very humble in my admission of sin and unworthiness as I thought I was being simply honest in my evaluation of myself.

I did think I was closer to the truth than she.

Now I am not so sure.

It seems to me that if she knows she is nothing in herself – and everything in Him – then her statement reflects true humility.

My wallowing in remorse, clinging to contrition as if it were a burden I must carry forever, is a visible reminder of human pride that just simply refuses to admit I can’t possibly do anything good of myself.

Somehow I keep expecting myself to be really good – patient, kind, not envious, nor boastful, not arrogant, not rude, long-suffering and – well, you know, such a perfect person that I don’t need the divine intervention of Jesus’ death on the cross.

Now, that’s pride for you.

I’m not sure my friend has achieved the state of true humility for all time. But that’s not nearly as much of a problem, I believe, as my repeated lapses into pride.

I suspect the day may come when she will run afoul of her human nature and fail to be all her Lord expects of her. Chances are very good that she will need to recognize the failing and ask for God’s forgiveness. But if her grasp of the redemptive love of God remains, she will turn whatever it is quickly over to Him and go rejoicing on her way.

I know I can do the same thing.

For I am a sinning saint only until I ask for His forgiveness. Then I am a sinless sinner.

No comments: