Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Why Do You Love Me, Lord?

“Why Me, O Lord! Why did this happen to me?

I could ask myself these questions every day. But if I’m really thinking about it, I wouldn’t actually be asking about the bad things that happen to me and those I love.

I would be asking why the Lord brought me through safely to morning; why I escaped the dangers of the night that befell so many others.

I could also ask why He blessed me so – but most often I don’t.

I don’t always even think about it. I blithely accept the gift of life from God’s hand with barely a hint of thanks. A rainbow may make me appreciate His creation for a moment; the scent of a rose may remind me of His blessings.

But most of the time “Why me?” means, “Why did this terrible thing happen to me?”

If I compared what I do and what I am with the perfect goodness of God, I would not be surprised at the tragedies and troubles that come my way. If strict justice were meted out by God, I’d be in a heap of trouble all the time!

And I’m trying to be good. I’m trying to be a witness to the action of the Spirit of the Lord in my life. I’m trying to love the Lord with all my heart and all my strength and all my mind. And I’m trying to love my neighbor as myself.

But I’m doing a rotten job of it.

I don’t steal or kill or commit adultery. But while the law bans murder, Jesus commands us to love one another – as He loved us. And this love is an action verb.

It isn’t trying. It’s doing.

It isn’t emotions. It’s actions.

I don’t know anyone who does this all the time.

Fortunately, we are not judged strictly by either the Law of Jesus’ commands. He provided for that by His death and resurrection. And we don’t have to do it by ourselves. He also provided us with a Comforter to strengthen us and guide us.

So I try to do His commands not for fear of the just retribution for my law-breaking, but because I bloom in the wellspring of His love and I desire to please Him.

Why me, Lord? Why do You love me so?

I can’t imagine. But I thank You that You do.

And when those tragedies and troubles come?

Then the question becomes, “What do You want me to do now, Lord? Will You help me use it for Your glory?”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.